Tuesday, April 12, 2022

#SOL A Little Free Librarian

 Happy Tuesday!  Today is Slice of Life (#SOL) Tuesday!


Photo by Amy Soto


A Little Free Librarian

About a year ago, my church was looking for someone to manage their Little Free Library.  Of course, I jumped at the4 opportunity to help out!  Each week or every few days, I stop by the LFL to organize its contents and add new titles to its shelves.  I am now called the church librarian.  I love the title and love taking care of the adorable little library.  I have ordered a mini flag and hung it on a flag holder next to the library.  The flag reads, “Read, Return, Repeat.” 


Photo by Amy Soto

 Next to the library, there is a bench.  I live across the street from the church and its little free library.  I am able to look out my window and see people sometimes sitting on the bench with a book.  Last summer, there was even an older lady with a young girl in a stroller that visited the library weekly.  Each week, the pair would select books, sit on the bench and the woman would read to the child.  This brought me such joy.  

In a small room of the church, I have a store of donated books that I draw from each week to stock the library.  I often donate my own books as well.  The top shelf usually holds adult books and the bottom shelf contains children’s books, middle grade, picture, and even board books.  It’s fun to see what books get borrowed, what books are donated by LFL patrons, and which books return.  


I follow little free libraries on Instagram and recently saw that someone had decorated the window of the library with shamrocks.  I loved this idea and have decided to do something similar with my little free library.  I think that I will make a seasonal shape, such as umbrellas, bunnies, or eggs and place them on the inside window of the library.  I will encourage library patrons to take one to use as a bookmark.  


Being the librarian of my church’s little free library is so much fun!  Since I am a retired elementary school librarian, it allows me to still enjoy some aspects, in a very small way, of my former position.  


Photo by Amy Soto

                                                              
It’s a beautiful spring day, so I will stop over to the church, visit my book room, and organize and restock my little free library.  It is time for a spring cleaning.  It is also spring break week for the local schools.  So, maybe the little free library will have some extra visitors who might need something good to read while on break from school!


Photo by Amy Soto

Photo by Amy Soto

I hope you have an opportunity to visit a little free library!  Happy Reading!

What is Slice of Life?  Visit Two Writing Teachers to learn more.  To read other Slice of Life stories, please visit here.



2 comments:

  1. Your slice shows how much you enjoy being your church’s little free librarian. At the end when you reveal your former profession I went ‘ahh - it makes sense the stewardship you bestow upon it’.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are lots of lucky people if they get to experience your LFL. It's lovely!

    I have wanted to curate my own LFL for such a long time. I'm a little cautious about doing it since the only place I could "plant" one is my own lawn.

    ReplyDelete

Multicultural Children’s Book Day

Welcome to Multicultural Children's Book Day!  Below you will find my reviews for a picture book and a chapter book.  Happy Reading!   A...